WHY ON EARTH HEMP?
With the ever-present threat of global warming, toxic pollutants a daily obstacle and precious wildlife driven to extinction, an eco-conscious lifestyle has never been more important. That is why we have introduced a minimum standard on all fabrics that we choose to use. We promise to use:
- Exclusively hemp or eco friendly hemp blends
- Certified Organic Fabrics only
- Sustainable and ethical man made fabrics only (TENCEL Lyocel)
- Vegan friendly- no leather, silk or wool
- No nasties like polyester, acrylic or nylon.
“During our design and fabric selection process our eco system comes first”
FAST FASHION FACTS
The fashion industry is the third largest polluter in the world, contributing to the slow death of our planet. The United Nations estimate the fashion industry is responsible for:
- - at least 10% of all global greenhouse gas emissions
- - 20% of global waste water, second largest polluter and consumer of water.
- - 5% of all landfill
Consumers globally now consume around 80 billion pieces of new clothing each year, much of which can be attributed to the world of fast fashion. A 400% rise in the past 2 decades.
Sadly the majority of textiles used in the fashion industry (conventional cotton, polyester, acrylic, nylon) are genetically modified, requiring pesticides, formaldehyde, carcinogens and fossil. A staggering 20 billion pounds of chemicals are used per year to produce textiles, which filter into our streams, lakes, oceans and eco system.
Hemp is an ancient wild plant that has been cultivated for millennia. Commonly traded across Middle Eastern and Asian cultures, it is:
- Fast-yielding natural crop
- Can grow exclusively on rainfall, requiring far less water than cotton.
- Requires minimum labor
- Does not require pesticides, formaldehyde, carcinogens, leading to a happier eco system
- Requires zero fossil fuel to make, unlike synthetic fabrics.
- Replenishes and irrigates the soil
- A natural climate change warrior- Absorbing CO2 emissions at a faster rate than most plants.
As a textile it:
- Higher durability than most common fabrics- holding its shape and size
- Softens with every wash
- Acts as a natural antimicrobial
- Strong absorption and breathing ability
- Provides resistance to UV rays, protecting you from the strong Aussie sun.
ETHICALLY SOURCED HEMP
Our hemp is of the bast plant variety and is cultivated from farms in the mountains of Northern China, under safe and happy working conditions.
These fibres are certified to either Organic Content Standard (OCS) or Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS). Not only does this ensure the highest of international sustainability standards are being met, but also guarantees that your Elenora purchase is crafted from a luxurious, high-quality fabric.
Hemp is a revolutionary textile that the planet will thank you for choosing.